Video doesn't encode when frame rate is 23.976?

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Hi Darick,

First let me say that this is an AWESOME front end! I've successfully re-encoded several of my 29.970 mkv files into wmv files with 5.1 sound!! However, I've run into trouble when I've been trying to re-encode my HD 23.976 frame rate movies (blu-ray backups), for some reason it seems to ignore the video and after the encode I'm left with a 700mb file that contains only audio even through mediainfo says that the video is present and at the correct kbps etc etc.

Any ideas why that is happening?

Thanks again for a great program!!

Iskondi

Coordinator
Jun 10, 2009 at 7:51 PM
I'm glad that you have found it useful. Do the mkv files have subtitles or anything other than a video and audio track? Try opening them in mkvmerge and remuxing it with just the audio and video. This should fix it.

Darick

To: [email removed]
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 08:59:19 -0700
Subject: Video doesn't encode when frame rate is 23.976? [VideoEncoder:59086]

Hi Darick,
First let me say that this is an AWESOME front end! I've successfully re-encoded several of my 29.970 mkv files into wmv files with 5.1 sound!! However, I've run into trouble when I've been trying to re-encode my HD 23.976 frame rate movies (blu-ray backups), for some reason it seems to ignore the video and after the encode I'm left with a 700mb file that contains only audio even through mediainfo says that the video is present and at the correct kbps etc etc.
Any ideas why that is happening?
Thanks again for a great program!!
Iskondi

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.
Jun 10, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Hey Darick,

When I switched from using FFDSHOW to using CoreAVC it correctly went ahead and processed the file but the output was totally glitchy :-(( So I got rid of CoreAVC and went back to FFDSHOW. Removed the subtitle track and restarted your program and it is chugging along.  We'll see if the video/audio is smooth. I'm crossing my fingers!

If there is anything else I should be looking at regarding the glitching audio/video please feel free to let me know!

Thanks again!!

Iskondi

Coordinator
Jun 10, 2009 at 8:58 PM
I've had great success with ffdshow. Except for the subtitle thing, which isn't too big of a deal. I can't tell the difference beween the mkv and wmv file.
Darick

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:56:19 -0700
Subject: Re: Video doesn't encode when frame rate is 23.976? [VideoEncoder:59086]

Hey Darick,
When I switched from using FFDSHOW to using CoreAVC it correctly went ahead and processed the file but the output was totally glitchy :-(( So I got rid of CoreAVC and went back to FFDSHOW. Removed the subtitle track and restarted your program and it is chugging along. We'll see if the video/audio is smooth. I'm crossing my fingers!
If there is anything else I should be looking at regarding the glitching audio/video please feel free to let me know!
Thanks again!!
Iskondi

Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®. See how.
Jun 10, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Welp without the subtitles it is progressing correctly now.  I'm hoping the output video/audio will be smooth.  If it is then I'll script remuxing the subtitles out of the MKV prior to putting it through your program.  *Sigh* Kinda a pain but sill very convient. I have a command line script that will also do the re-encode using your profiles :-) So if I have to mux out the subtitles then perhaps I'll just do it all through a perl script or something.

Any idea WHY the subtitles cause it to glitch? Can I tell FFDSHOW not to mess with subtitles and perhaps that will stop the issue?

Either way thank you so much for your help on this!!! Awesome program.

Iskondi

Coordinator
Jun 10, 2009 at 9:06 PM
Not sure on on the settings of ffdshow, it will be something to look at.
Darick

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 14:02:00 -0700
Subject: Re: Video doesn't encode when frame rate is 23.976? [VideoEncoder:59086]

Welp without the subtitles it is progressing correctly now. I'm hoping the output video/audio will be smooth. If it is then I'll script remuxing the subtitles out of the MKV prior to putting it through your program. *Sigh* Kinda a pain but sill very convient. I have a command line script that will also do the re-encode using your profiles :-) So if I have to mux out the subtitles then perhaps I'll just do it all through a perl script or something.
Any idea WHY the subtitles cause it to glitch? Can I tell FFDSHOW not to mess with subtitles and perhaps that will stop the issue?
Either way thank you so much for your help on this!!! Awesome program.
Iskondi

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.
Jun 10, 2009 at 11:13 PM

*Sigh* So with FFDSHOW I still get the same glitching audio/video... Any ideas where to look? Key Frames? Frame Rate? It's currently set to 0 perhaps I should set it to 24 for the 23.976 movies?

Thanks again,

Iskondi

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2009 at 12:03 AM
Zero means that it uses the source video frame rate. When you play the file, does it work ok? Have you tried a different file.
Darick

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:13:49 -0700

*Sigh* So with FFDSHOW I still get the same glitching audio/video... Any ideas where to look? Key Frames? Frame Rate? It's currently set to 0 perhaps I should set it to 24 for the 23.976 movies?
Thanks again,
Iskondi

Hotmail® has ever-growing storage! Don’t worry about storage limits. Check it out.
Jun 11, 2009 at 12:05 AM

I have tried several files and they all end up with the same glitchy behavior... :-( The file plays back perfectly in it's mkv container. I'm sure it's a codec setting I was just wondering if you had an idea where to look.  :-) Thanks again for all your tiime and patience.

Iskondi

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Hey Darick,

Turns out that all my issues were caused by my trying to change the audio profile to be 448 instead of 640.  When I stopped doing that, everything worked great!!! And with CoreAVC I don't have to mux out the subtitle track either. Wooo!

Thanks for all your help and a wonderful program!!

Iskondi

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2009 at 7:46 PM
I just did an encode of an mkv file on Windows 7 and didn't need to mux out the subtitles either. Using Haali Media Splitter, AC3Filter, and the default H264 windows decoder. So that is nice. Glad you got it worked out.
Darick

Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:03:04 -0700

Hey Darick,
Turns out that all my issues were caused by my trying to change the audio profile to be 448 instead of 640. When I stopped doing that, everything worked great!!! And with CoreAVC I don't have to mux out the subtitle track either. Wooo!
Thanks for all your help and a wonderful program!!
Iskondi

Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®. See how.