Trouble running it on Windows 7

Aug 12, 2009 at 10:22 PM

I've installed all the programs listed, including the Windows Expression 3 trial, and the Windows SDK 3.5 pack. I'm getting an immediate crash; the encoder fails to even load. Any ideas?

Coordinator
Aug 13, 2009 at 1:35 AM
It was encoded to run with Expression Encoder 2. I will try to get an updated version using Encoder 3 as soon as time permits.
Darick

To: [email removed]
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:22:13 -0700
Subject: Trouble running it on Windows 7 [VideoEncoder:65407]

I've installed all the programs listed, including the Windows Expression 3 trial, and the Windows SDK 3.5 pack. I'm getting an immediate crash; the encoder fails to even load. Any ideas?

Get your vacation photos on your phone! Click here.
Sep 12, 2009 at 7:35 PM

First off, Darick, AWESOME job man! I also get an instant crash, and it must be attributed to the fact that I have Expression Encoder 3, as well. Can't wait for an update. :)

Question about your tool, though. Let's say I have a folder full of VOB's (a DVD source), is there a way to merge all of the necessary files into one outputted file? I don't even need this to be done automatically, as I can find the necessary ones manually. Anyways, I was messing around with this in Expression Encoder 3, however, I noticed some of the later VOBS would autmagically jump to a different audio source (example: English to Spanish or to commentary). The reason I ask is because I am hoping to encode all my movie collection using AVC-1, but Expression Encoder doesn't seem to get granular enough on the audio source. Kind of pointless to have two-thirds of the way through the movie only to have the audio switch sources. Therefore, I am forced to use a different tool (like Handbrake) to get my encodes done. Thoughts?

Coordinator
Sep 16, 2009 at 4:42 AM
I started lookng at making it work with Expression Encoder 3. It is going to take more work than I thought since much has changed in the SDK. The SDK does support multiple file input, so it should be possible to do what you are talking about. I'm suprised that Encoder 3 isn't offering the granularity you need. Looking at the SDK, it should allow you to select the audio source. I'll see what can be done. Though, the purpose of writing the application was because Encoder 2 didn't offer 5.1 audio channels, but Encoder 3 does. So I'm not it will be work the effort to try to update it.

Thanks,
Darick

Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 12:36:01 -0700
Subject: Re: Trouble running it on Windows 7 [VideoEncoder:65407]

First off, Darick, AWESOME job man! I also get an instant crash, and it must be attributed to the fact that I have Expression Encoder 3, as well. Can't wait for an update. :)
Question about your tool, though. Let's say I have a folder full of VOB's (a DVD source), is there a way to merge all of the necessary files into one outputted file? I don't even need this to be done automatically, as I can find the necessary ones manually. Anyways, I was messing around with this in Expression Encoder 3, however, I noticed some of the later VOBS would autmagically jump to a different audio source (example: English to Spanish or to commentary). The reason I ask is because I am hoping to encode all my movie collection using AVC-1, but Expression Encoder doesn't seem to get granular enough on the audio source. Kind of pointless to have two-thirds of the way through the movie only to have the audio switch sources. Therefore, I am forced to use a different tool (like Handbrake) to get my encodes done. Thoughts?

Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free. Sign up now.
Sep 16, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Well, that's the thing. It does allow you to select an audio source, but there are only two options: Stereo, 5.1. However, since there can be many 5.1 channels (English, Spanish, etc.), the application doesn't get granular enough to show that. It's very odd limitation, and a huge bummer.

Coordinator
Sep 16, 2009 at 3:04 PM
I think what you are talking about is the output audio format. You should be able to choose the audio source. Here is from one of their web pages (http://www.microsoft.com/Expression/products/Encoder_Overview.aspx):

Multichannel Audio
Import media with Dolby Digital multichannel audio, select from multiple audio tracks such as language versions and encode for multichannel WMA Pro.

I'm just not sure how to do it. I don't have a vob with multiple audio handy to mess around with. You may post a question on their forums and ask how to select the audio source input.

Hope this helps,
Darick

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 05:16:10 -0700
Subject: Re: Trouble running it on Windows 7 [VideoEncoder:65407]

Well, that's the thing. It does allow you to select an audio source, but there are only two options: Stereo, 5.1. However, since there can be many 5.1 channels (English, Spanish, etc.), the application doesn't get granular enough to show that. It's very odd limitation, and a huge bummer.

Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. Get it now.